Resources are the basis for the development of our country, Nepal. Land use practice, planning, management and associated policy development need clear understanding of available land and its use. A web GIS solution act as a tool to visualize and to disseminate land use data for researchers, planners and policy makers and public in general.
A Web GIS solution for land use data dissemination combines the knowledge of complex GIS systems with the standards and best practices of information technology to design and implement an end-to-end system that deliver land use data services, tools and applications on the web. This proposal aims to develop a Web Based Land Use data dissemination system at VDC/Municipality level.
The main objectives of the project were as follows:
- To enhance the accessibility of land resource information to all related stakeholders and general public.
- Prepare data sharing mechanism and therefore support Spatial Database Infrastructure (SDI) for implementation of Land Use Policy 2072.
- Strengthen framework for infrastructure development and planning with reference to Land Use Data and Maps.
Brief scope of the project were not only limited to as follow:
- Harmonize all the Land Use Database and Maps in common format.
- Harmonize the projection system of all the data sets and maps.
- Prepare seamless data by edge matching.
- Maintain standard as proposed for web based data dissemination.
- Prepare web based data dissemination system for deploying all land use database.
- Develop mechanism for online data order and data purchase.
- Provide 24/7 IT support for a year.