Remote Sensing in Agriculture
Agriculture is a popular business based on cultivation of different types of products to sustain and enhance human life. The process was changing during the last decades due to development of technology, which led to the new conception known as eco sustainable agriculture. Remote sensing technology was successfully implemented into the crop farming process, to get accurate information about soils, crops, climatic and environment condition. It plays a vital role in the development of agriculture and helps to classify crop types, observe their health and yield. Integrated use of such a tools provides following benefits:
- Crops are now analyzed according to different geographical regions, field size, soil condition, crop phenology etc. in more advanced approach.
- Remote sensing allows to observe the physical parameters of crops to determine the nutrient availability or water accessibility.
- Remote sensing monitors the crop health and crop yield through the satellite.
- Measuring the actual temperature allows to reach the maximum crop yield.
- Demand-based irrigation scheduling.
Remote sensing and vegetation
Various techniques and processes are used by remote sensors to map vegetation. Modern technology made it easier to classify and characterize the vegetation growth. The vegetation mapping provides the related information regarding distribution of vegetation including its temperature, soil type, drainage condition, growing season, moisture content, topographic aspect etc. The information is obtained from remote sensing, satellite; air photos helps to know the physical and chemical properties of vegetation. The satellite image of vegetation has made easier for scientist or farmers to know the quality of plants and trees of native place, but some factors like moisture, brightness and greenness have an impact to the quality of vegetation data, collected by remote sensors or satellites, so those factors should be maintained while using sensing devices.
Precision farming is the recent satellite based agricultural practice. It is the latest farming system that enhances the crop productivity. The use of remote sensing in agriculture helps to determine the humidity, weather pattern, soil temperature, growth and other factor of the crops in more convenient ways. It improves the crop diversity and also monitors the irrigation system. This precision farming system helped farmers to know the exact time of agricultural inputs to grow more crops at suitable environment. The following remote sensing technique was used to determine the following activities:
- To collect soil sample
- To define soil types and soil characteristics
- To calculate soil color map index
- To visualize electromagnetic soil mapping
- To collect data related to crop yield
- To capture aerial images
- To collect soil samples
Therefore, with help of satellite imagery, precision farm has benefits for farmers, helping them to improve agricultural productivity. Farmers are able to harvest more food products at suitable period of time interval with the information based on imager, therefore they could conserve the soil for the sustainable production of agriculture.
Benefit of Remote Sensing to Agriculture
Using of remote sensing in agriculture has the following benefits:
- Identification of vegetation
- Improvement in crop yield
- Early determination of crop health
- Reduction on cost
- Better environmental impact on crop
- Prediction over crop yield
- Management of crops during harvest time
- Seasonal benefit of crops
- Pre use of information to control the problem related to crops
- Sustainable production of agricultural products
Remote sensing in agriculture has positive influence on agriculture technique. The approach of using this information represents a high quality and ecofriendly environment. Recently, this technique has upgraded in qualitative and quantitative production of agriculture.
Thakur International provides several services in monitoring and improving agrucaltural productivity with remore sensors.
For further information please contact us: 01-4390807